Recommended Public Realm Plan
With the input of the Stittsville Main Street Public Working Group and Technical Advisory Committee, as well as other feedback received, a recommended concept plan has been developed.
Objectives of the Plan
- Support the City’s Official Plan, Community Design Plan (CDP) and Secondary Plan vision for the corridor
- Leverage the street’s role as Stittsville’s Mainstreet and village core
- Rebalance space in the public right-of-way to achieve contemporary objectives
- Pursue complete street, transit priority and active transportation goals
- Showcase public realm improvements and street beautification
- Inspire future investment and high-quality design
- Inform subsequent street functional designs and Site-Plan Control decisions affecting the street frontage
- Harness incremental and long-term delivery and funding opportunities
Potential Public Realm Investments
The current state of the underground infrastructure beneath Stittsville Main Street does not warrant an integrated road, water and sewer reconstruction project in the near future. Ideally, this would be the easiest way to implement the Public Realm Plan all at once. Given the unlikelihood of this happening, the plan has been designed to support an incremental approach to its implementation. The following are specific Public Realm Investments that can achieve the objectives of the plan over time, as funding becomes available:
- North and South Gateway Landscaping & Signage Enhancements
- Street Tree Plantings and Greening Initiatives
- Street Beautification and Furnishings Upgrades
- Active Transportation Improvements and Protected Intersections
- Priority Bus Stops
- Poole Creek Trail and Crossing Enhancements
- Abbott Street and TransCanada Trail Crossing Improvements
- Decorative Lighting Display Installations
- Pedestrian Street Light Upgrades – The installation of new street lights in the Village Core (between Wintergreen Drive and Brae Crescent) has the potential to be the first component of this plan to be implemented. A conceptual mock-up of the new fixtures is currently in development and aims be posted on this website in spring 2022.
Have your Say!
Feedback on the plan is still being collected. Please send any comments or questions on the Concept Plan to SMSPRP@ottawa.ca by Friday, May 20th, 2022.
As We Heard It
The concept plan was presented at a public consultation event hosted virtually April 27th, 2022. Thank you to all who were able to attend and provide feedback! A summary of the comments and questions received can be found here.
The project is now in its fourth and final phase, “Phase 4: Recommended Public Realm Plan” and aims to brought to Planning Committee and Council for approval in summer 2022.