How will the High Performance Development Standard be applied?
The High Performance Development Standard will not apply to projects that are only subject to building permits.
Limitation of the High Performance Development Standard energy efficiency requirements
It is important to understand while the standard aims to advance ambitious goals related to energy efficiency, it only informs one part of the complex land development process. The realization of these goals will require cooperation from many stakeholders.
What the High Performance Development Standard can do:
- Leverage the City planning process to inform early design decisions
- Take localized context into account
What the High Performance Development Standard cannot do:
- Address all energy requirements necessary to meet climate change goals
- Overrule or replace Ontario Building Code requirements for the purpose of permit applications
- Address the performance gap between design intent and realized savings
Role of other stakeholders in addressing climate change in new development
- Industry - builds capacity and advances climate change goals ahead of legislated mandates
- Upper levels of government - set the building codes
- Public - make energy and sustainability a priority in purchase and design decisions